Text and images are copyright. All rights reserved.
PARTRIDGE ancestry in Feering/Fearing, Essex and Bermondsey
Largely due to the work of others, I now hold quite a lot of data on the Partridge family, going back to William Partridge (c1758-?) in Feering (or Fearing) in Essex. Most of it is not on this website, but may be available on request. Neil's Partridge ancestry is via Mary Ann Partridge, and this page documents her parents, grandparents and samples of siblings. Neil's direct ancestors are shown in bold type.
Neil's earliest confirmed Partridge ancestor was William Partridge who born circa 1758 at possibly Feering in Essex. On 8 Feb 1780, he married Mary Eley at All Saints, Feering. She was born circa 1760 and was buried on 14 Mar 1794 at Feering. We do not know when William died. The couple had the following children:
- Sarah Partridge was born or baptised in 1781 and died in 1781.
- John William Partridge was born or baptised circa 1782. He died in Jul 1850.
- Henry Partridge was born or baptised born in 1784.
- John Ely Partridge also recorded as John Eley
Partridge and John Eloy Partridge was Neil's direct ancestor. He was born circa 1786 at Feering
and married Martha Hannah Mitchell in 1809 at St Dunstans, Stepney.
The couple moved to Bermondsey where they lived at 15 or 19 John
Street. John was employed as a carpenter and was listed as such in Pigot's 1839
Directory. He died in 1851. The children were as follows:
- Martha Ann Partridge was born on 20 August 1810 and baptised in September of that year at St John Horselydown. In October 1831 she married Charles Fleming at "LJW" (?) which could be Lambeth, St John, Waterloo Road.
- John Partridge was born or baptised on 11 Oct 1812 at St John Horsleydown, Bermondsey. He married an Elisabeth Ann.
- James Partridge was baptized on 2 Jan 1814 at St John Horsleydown.
- Mary Ann Partridge, Neil's direct ancestor, was born on 20 Jun 1815 and baptized on 23 Jul 1815 at St John Horselydown. She married Alfred Webb, who has his own page. She was widowed early, on 26 February 1845, with four children, whereupon she took up her late husband's tailoring business. By 1851 she had set up home as a tailoress with her children and her younger sister Eliza (see below) in Free School Lane, Southwark. By 1861, her eldest son George had died and she was living with her remaining two sons at 34 Maltby Street. Mary Ann and Alfred's children are listed on Alfred's page.
- Jane Partridge was born on 16 Jan 1819 and baptised on 21 Feb 1819 at St John Horselydown. She married Samuel Stevens.
- Hannah Partridge was born on 10 December 1820 and baptised on 7 Feb 1821 at St John Horsleydown.
- George Partridge was born on 28 March 1823 and baptised on 23 July 1823 at St John Horsleydown. He married a Caroline.
- William Partridge was baptised on 10 Apr 1825 at St John Horsleydown.
- Charles Partridge was born on 14 September 1827 and baptised on 21 Oct 1827 at St John Horsleydown.
- Eliza Partridge was born on 13 Aug 1831 and baptised on 4 Sep 1831 at Saint John Horsleydown. She married William Hart, born in 1855 at 13 Great John Street, Southwark and had a daughter Mary.
- Mary Partridge was born or baptised in 1787.