Text and images are copyright. All rights reserved.

Historical pictures of Southwark and Bermondsey

During much of the 1800s, the Cryer and the Webb families lived and worked in the Bermondsey area on the south bank of the River Thames. Bermondsey has now been redeveloped and is reclassified as part of London, but at the time it was within the county of Surrey and was the home of the Surrey docks.

Unless otherwise stated, the following pictures are reproduced courtesy of Southwark Local Studies Library. If you have other photographs of where the Cryers or Webbs lived and worked, please get in touch.

Bermondsey, Crucifix Lane, number 42 - front Bermondsey, Crucifix Lane, number 42 - back
Front view of numbers 44, 43, 42 and 41 Crucifix Lane. George Cryer, our earliest conformed Cryer ancestor, was living here at 42 Crucifix Lane in 1831 at the time of the baptism of his son, Alexander Robert Cryer. After George died (also here) in 1842 his wife Ann stayed on for many years with Alexander Robert and the children by George's first marriage.  Rear view of the premises (numbers 44 - 41). Both these pictures are by Emslie and dated 1876.
Family house in Maltby Street, Southwark, 1840s

    Family house in Maltby Street, Southwark, 1840s. Drawing from the unpublished diaries of John Daws. The land for the house was bought by John's father, also John Daws, in February 1844. The width of the plot was 16 feet 6 inches.

    

Union Chapel, Parish Street, Bermondsey

The Union Chapel, Parish Street, where Alexander Robert Cryer married Emma Giles in 1857 and where their daughter Emma Eliza married William Daws in 1882. Drawing from the unpublished diaries of William's father, John Daws. The lease was for 70 years and the ground rent was £4.10.0 per year

 
Bermondsey: Russell Street Bermondsey: Tooley Street at the junction with Joiner Street
Nos 42, 43 and 44 Russell Street sketched by Emslie in 1876. Alexander Robert Cryer and his wife Emma were living at 98 Russell Street at the time of the birth of their son Edward Charles Cryer in 1866. Note that Russell Street, where Cryer family lived for some time, changed its name to Tanner Street Tooley Street at the junction with Joiner Street. From a watercolour 1830. Alexander Robert's son, Alexander George worked in Tooley Street and eventually became managing director of Pilchers Paints factory here.
Bermondsey: Coopers Arms, Tanner Street Bermondsey: the Three Tuns Taven and Tea Gardens in Russell Street
The Coopers Arms in Tanner Street. (Note that Alexander's father, George was listed as a cooper in the 1841 census.) Alexander Robert Cryer and his family were living at 37 Tanner Street at the time of the censuses in 1891 and 1901. Note that Russell Street, where Cryer family lived for some time, changed its name to Tanner Street The Three Tuns Taven and Tea Gardens in Russell Street, a water colour by J L Stewart, dated 1880.
Bermondsey: Thomas Street Bermondsey: Old House, Tooley Street
Numbers 4 and 5 Thomas Street, by Emslie, 1886. The Webb family was living in Thomas Street at the times of the 1841 and 1881 census - so far the only censuses checked for Webbs. Old House, Tooley Street, by Maund, undated
Bermondsey: Thomas Street at the junction with Gainsford Street Bermondsey: Thomas Street, Horsleydown
Thomas Street at the junction with Gainsford Street, opposite The Grapes Public House, by Emslie,1886 Numbers 15 and 16 Thomas Street, Horsleydown, Bermondsey, by Emslie, 1885
Bermondsey: Wilderness Street

Wilderness Street, where another family of Cryers lived. They may or may not have been related - dated 1934

to top

This website Cryer family history is © Pat Cryer. For applications to reproduce text or images, click here.