Text and images are copyright. All rights reserved.
William EYLES II (1832-?) of Rugby and London
William Eyles was born on 26 Jul 1832 at Rugby, Warwick to William Eyles I and Frances Cosby. He was baptized on 16 Sep 1832 at Rugby, Warwick; Wesleyan Chapel, and like his father, was a carpenter. He married Mary Ann Groocock on 14 Aug 1853 at St Margaret, Leicester. By 1871 the couple were at 88 Manor Street, Chelsea and by 1881 they were at 74 Rattray Road, Lambeth, Surrey. By 1891 they were at 77 North Street, Clapham, London; 1891 and they had a house-load living with them! It is from this census that much of the genealogy of descendants comes – see below. In 1901 William and Mary Ann were at 100 Abbeville Road, Chelsea. He was 68 and she was 69. There is currently no further confirmed record of them.
William and Mary Ann had the following children:
- Lucy Jane Eyles, born on 19 Oct 1854 is Neil's direct ancestor and has her own page.
- Mary Ann Eyles was born in 1862 at Pimlico. She married Henry A Urie who was probably born in Persia, although census returns disagree on which eastern country it was. The couple had one known son:
- William Urie was born in 1889 at Bloomsbury, London.
- George William Eyles was born in Pimlico 1862 and was a joiner. He married Rosa Leah Bilyard who was born in 1862 at Pimlico, Middlesex.
- Frances Louisa Eyles was born born in Pimlico in 1866. She and married William Battie, a commercial traveller. The couple had the following known children:
- John William Battie was born in 1892 at Cardiff, Wales.
- Marjorie Battie was born in 1894 at Clapham.