Text and images are copyright. All rights reserved.
Lucy Amy Boult, born Eyles (1854-1929)
Genealogical information on Lucy Amy
Lucy Jane Eyles was born on 19 Oct 1854 at James Street, Rugby, Warwick, to parents William Eyles and Mary Ann (born Groocock). She was baptized on 3 Dec 1854 at St George, Leicester. She was some years older than her next sibling and may have spent her early life living away from her parents and their other children, as in 1861 at the age of 6 she was with her grandparents, James and Jane Groocock 21 Chatham Street, Leicester. By 1871 she was back with her parents William and Mary Ann Eyles at 88 Manor Street, Chelsea.
Lucy married Henry Boult on 19 Jul 1875 at Free Methodist Chapel, Lambeth, and at the time of the 1881 census they were at 3 Tescott Road, Chelsea, London. He was a schoolmaster and she a schoolmistress. By 1891 they had moved to Orpington in Kent, where they both worked at the Chisleshurst Road School. They took up their joint appointments, Mr Boult as headmaster and Mrs Boult, as infant school mistress at the opening of the Chislehurst Road School in 1882. They lived in the adjacent road by the same name.
Lucy's interests in education were wider than the local school. Within today's family there is a George IV rosewood desk presented to her in July 1879 by Isaac Pitman for services to the teaching of cuttings on the retirement of Lucy Jane.
Press cuttings on the end of Lucy Jane's life
Transcription from the (Orpington) District Times about Lucy's retirement from teaching, courtesy of Geoff Copus
District Times, 2 April 1920
ORPINGTON COUNCIL SCHOOLS.
RETIREMENT OF MRS BOULT
Mrs H Boult, after 38 years of faithful and honourable service as head mistress of the Chislehurst Road Council Schools’ Infant Department, on Friday retired from her educational work into private life and a well-earned rest. The Occasion was one of regretful leave-taking, and the children in both the infants’ department and the mixed school - for Mrs. Boult was a well-tried friend of both, particularly in regard to the girls of the mixed school - felt the leavetaking very keenly.
The staff of the Infants’ School presented Mrs. Boult with a valuable umbrella, and the scholars and staff of the mixed school gave her a handsome attache case.
Little speeches were made by some of the elder scholars notably by Norah Chaplin who spoke on behalf of the upper school. She said, “Your leaving will, I am sure, leave a gap which will be very difficult to fill, and the poorer children especially will miss you very greatly, as they have often benefited by your warm end tender heart at school. There are also many in the upper school who have spent many long and happy days in the infants’ school under your supervision. As a token of our gratitude for the many years you have spent an our midst we have clubbed together for that small gift, and we hope it wall act as a personal reminder of the past.
Phyllis Bates, another senior girl, followed with a few remarks, expressing the hope that when Mrs Boult used the attache case she would think of the old scholars of the Chislehurst Road School and that in future the fortune’s star would always shine upon her.
John Steptoe, who spoke for the boys, referred to the pleasant time he spent an the infants’ school with Mrs Boult, and expressed ‘the hope that she would enjoy many years of rest amongst them at Orpington.
Mr William Nelson had already noted the feeling of deepest regret expressed by every member of the staff and by the scholars at Mrs. Boult’s retirement from the school and referred to the happy associations that had existed among them, some of the members of staff having worked with Mr and Mrs Boult for many years. He also remarked how delighted the children in the upper school were when they found they were to take their part in the presentation of a gift to Mrs Boult.
Mrs Boult thanked the members of the staff and the children for thelr gifts. She said she would not say good-bye, as it was her intention to spend her remaining years in Orpington so that she would be amongst them all.
Transcription from from the Kentish Times, October 1929
Mrs. H. Boult
The death of Mrs. Lucy Boult (widow of the late Mr. Henry Boult, of Orpington) occurred at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Gardner, 12 Westbrook-road, Streatham, S.W., on Saturday, at the age of 74 years.
Mr. and Mrs. Boult were the first head teachers of the Chislehurst-road Schools, Orpington, the former of the mixed school, and the latter of the Infants’ department. They came to Orpington for the purpose of taking up their educational work in 1882 under the new school board then elected. Their whole-hearted services in the interest of the children had a marked influence upon them. They were progressive in their work and unimpeachable in their personal characters, while the united services of both Mr. and Mrs. Boult for the Temple Congregational Church, St. Mary Cray, which covered a period extending over 40 years, were of a self-sacrificing, faithful and honourable character. Both were lovers of music, and were valued members of the choir of the Church, Mr. Boult becoming choirmaster, and in his later years he was also Church secretary. They served the Church under the late Rev. John Jones, the Rev. W.A. Meaton, and the late Rev. William Lewis (who was minister of the Church for 25 years). Their two daughters also became most helpful members of the Temple Choir, Miss Winifred Boult (now Mrs. Mallet) who, as a gifted vocalist, became a gold medallist and an Associate of the Royal College, giving great pleasure on many occasions, as did her sister, Mrs. Gardner, in their capable and very pleasing renderings of sacred themes in the musical services of the Church.
The funeral of Mrs. Boult took place on Tuesday afternoon, when only a brief committal service was held at the graveside in Orpington Churchyard. The Rev. T.W. Bond officiated, and in the course of a brief but effective address spoke of the association of the deceased lady and her late husband with the Temple Church at St. Mary Cray, and with educational work at Orpington. They did not so much mourn the loss of their loved one in this instance, but rather thanked God for the life of service she had given. Both Mr. and Mrs. Boult and their family had been closely associated with them for many years, and their services will long be remembered, particularly with regard to the Temple choir.
Amongst those attending were Mr. H. Boult (son), Mrs. Stanley Mallet and Mrs. Gardner (daughters), Mr. Eyles (brother) and Mr.Gardner (son in law), and miss Nicholls.
There were also present Mr. William Mansfield (chairman of the Orpington school board), Captain C.F. Peters (head teacher of the Chislehurst-road School), Mrs. Drinkwater (who succeeded Mrs. Boult as head of the Infants’ Department), Mr. A.G. Grimes, Mr. C.H. Lansdell, Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Bristow, Mr. R. Smallwood, Miss Fox, Mrs. Higgins, Mrs. Best, and many others.
The floral tokens received were as follows: Mr. Harry Boult and family, the grandchildren, Mrs. Battie [?] and family, Mrs. Urio [?] and family, Mr. and Mrs. Gardner, Mr. and Mrs. Mallett and family, Mrs. E .Joyce, Mr. and Mrs. Stephenson, Mr. and Mrs. Godbolt, Mr. and Mrs. Chapple, Mr. and Mrs. Clifford, Mr. and Mrs. A. Nicholls, Miss Edith Nicholls, Mrs. Nicholls and family, Mrs. Spicer and family, Mrs. Dresden, Mr. and Mrs. Acres, Miss Lily Palmer and Miss Bradley, members of the Temple Choir, Mrs. Higgins and Miss White, Mrs. Evans and Miss Elsie Evans, Mr. J.W. Thomas, teachers and caretakers of Chislehurst-road School, staff of Chislehurst-road Mixed School.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. T.W. Hedgecock, of St. Mary Cray and Orpington.