Text and images are copyright. All rights reserved.
Lucy Amy BOULT (1881-1926)
This page outlines the life of Lucy Amy Best (1881-1926), born Lucy Amy Boult of Chelsea and Orpington, Kent.
Lucy Boult (full name Lucy Amy Boult and known in the family as Amy) was born on 21 August 1881 at 3 Tetcott (or Tescott) Road, South Chelsea, Middlesex to parents Henry Boult and Lucy Jane (born Eyles).
Before her marriage she worked with her parents as a school teacher at Chislehurst Road School in St Mary Cray, Orpington where her father was headmaster.
Amy married Frederick Best on 28 Dec 1905 at the Temple, St Mary Cray.
There were five children:
- Lucy Mildred Best (known as Lulu) born on 5 October 1906. She married Raymond Gerard White (known as Ray) at St Mary Cray, Kent on 27 Aug 1931. There were six children. Lulu White died on 3 (or 4) October 2000.
- Freda Mary Best (Neil's mother), born on 20 Oct 1908, died 23 September 2001.
- Donald Barrington Best, born 4 April 1914.
- Spencer Barrington Best, born on 4 November 1918, died on 26 October 1997.
- Margaret Augusta Best, born 5 July 1916, died in the 1960s.
Amy became a Christian Scientist - of which Frederick strongly disapproved - and consequently, when she fell ill, she refused for a long time to have a doctor. She died aged 44 on 17 Jul 1926, leaving children who were not yet all grown up.
Amy was an accomplished musician which brings to mind the understanding within the family that her Boults were related to Sir Adrian Boult, the well-known conductor.